Sunday, June 20, 2010

Duck Egg Sponge

So here's the thing, I'd heard all sorts of wonderful stories about using duck eggs in baking and I figured to myself that the only way of truly seeing what they were like was to make something with them and I figured a sponge was the best way to start. The difference is said to be because of the richness of the yolk. I bought these eggs in the butchers and he asked me had I tried them before I said no and he said "well, when I got them in here first I brought them home and decided that I would have a couple of boiled eggs for me tea, like I normally do, but could only manage the one". So I bought a half dozen free ranged mixed sized duck eggs and I was going to use all six egg because of the mixture of sizes but for the second time in my life I found a double yolk and elected to use the 5 eggs (6 yolks). I baked the cake and to be honest I really didn't notice much difference.



150g Caster Sugar
5 Duck Eggs
150g Sifted Plain Flour

1. Preheat oven to 150C.

2. Whisk eggs and sugar together with an electric whisk for about 10 mins until it reaches ribbon stage

3. Fold in the flour.

4. Divide the mixture into two greased tins and bake for 25 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment