Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Mincemeat Gingerbread

Somethings you just know are going to work together but when I went to find a recipe I wasn't having much joy with this.  This is a Frankenstein of a recipe being that it has a little bit of this and a little bit of that but I've had to add a little cop on to it. This is a very wet batter but don't worry it cooks up just fine. It's traditional to use Molasses in Gingerbread but I'm not really a fan so I've used Golden Syrup instead and a little Muscavado Sugar as a nod to the missing Molasses.  When it was still warm I glazed with a little maple syrup.  I think though that I may increase the spices to double next time that I make it because that flavour didn't really come through.  When I do I will update this post.





50g Soft Brown Sugar
50g Muscavado Sugar
1 Egg
250ml Golden Syrup
250ml Hot water
200g Butter
375g Flour

1 1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Jar of Mincemeat

Method

  1. Preheat Oven to 175C
  2. Cream Butter and Sugars.  Mix in a beaten egg
  3. In a bowl mix together Golden Syrup and Warm water and allow to cool.
  4. Sieve Flour, spices and baking soda together in another bowl.
  5. Add a third of the flour mix to the butter, sugar and egg bowl and mix thoroughly.  Add half of the golden syrup mix and combine thoroughly and repeat until all ingredients except mincemeat are incorporated.
  6. Fold in a jar of Mincemeat. 
  7. Pour into a greased brownie tin and bake for 1 hour but be sure to cover with foil when it reaches a nice golden brown colour.  Use a cocktail stick or skewer to make sure it's cooked properly.  
  8. Leave in the tin overnight to cool or serve warm with custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment