Monday, August 13, 2012

Baked Blueberry Cheesecake


I trawled the internet for a baked cheesecake, my friend Aishling makes an awesome one but I wanted to see what else was out there.  The recipes that I came across were for a much too large cake for my needs (and besides I only had one pack of cream cheese).  Blueberries were on special in Aldi for 69c so I bought about 4 punnets freezing them on trays and then bagging them.  I have been quite extravagant with the blueberries and really you don’t need so many.  You can also use any summer berry for this.  I also used their own brand cream cheese which was significantly cheaper that Philadelphia.  The recipe for blueberry Sauce can be used on pancakes, waffles, Ice-cream.  I used a 20cm round tin and there was enough in this for 3 people who all had little seconds. 
Base:
6 Digestive Biscuits Crushed
50g Butter
1 tbsp Demerara Sugar
1 Punnet Blueberries
Cheesecake Mix
1 Egg + 1 yolk
200g Cream Cheese
1 Tub of Crème Fraiche (I used most of a tub left over in the fridge)
25g (1 heaped tbsp) Plain Flour
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Blueberry Sauce
2tbsp Maple Syrup
1 Punnet Blueberries

Method
  1.  Preheat the oven to 190c
  2.  Melt butter in a pot over a gentle heat, add sugar and biscuit crumbs.  Empty into a loose bottomed tin or a springform tin and press into the base.  Sprinkle Blueberries on top.
  3. Mix together Cheesecake mix and beat until smooth.  Pour onto biscuit base.
  4. Blueberry Sauce: Heat blue berries and maple syrup together in a pot as the maple syrup heats it will cause the the berries to release their juices. 
    1. Method 1 Pour in drops in four or five locations and use a cocktail stick to create a marble effect through the cheesecake
    2. Method 2: When the cheesecake is baked top with warm blueberry sauce.
  5. Bake in the centre of the oven until the cheesecake is slightly wobbly in the middle (30-40mins).
  6. Allow to cool then chill in the fridge before serving.  I served it with a side of chopped strawberries macerated in Galliano and a little cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment